Monday, December 3, 2012

Pita Pizzas & Clementine Sorbet

Recipe 38 &39
Pita Pizza pg. 136
Clementine Sorbet pg. 269
Pita Pizza
Leftovers are an awesome thing.  Not only do I not have to make dinner tonight (Yea!),  but I was able to use some of Nana's Marinara from the night before in a lunch recipe.  Today I made Pita Pizzas.  Pita and pizza were not two words I would have used together before today.  It actually made a decent pizza crust.  Nana's Marinara is really what gave the pita its wings, but together it was a great lunch.  I am such a creature of habit, I never really considered how easy it is to change up the lunch routine.  To take a little zucchini, spinach and tomato on top of a pita was awesome.  It was essentially a salad on top of a pita.  I got all my veggies, and didn't have to use a fork.   Obviously the beauty of pizza is you can put whatever you want on it.   So don't sweat it if you don't have the exact ingredients.
This may take away a bit of the illusion from my amature photography, but this picture is too cute to pass up showing you.  Keep in mind I am learning as I go when it comes to cooking and taking pictures.  I find the lighting outside is so much easier to work with.  So I usually take a chair outside and snap away.  These are the conditions I am working under...
My puppy Lily could smell my yummy lunch.  This project has been a test of my patience.  I always have to photograph my meals before I can eat them!
Finally, lunch is served!

I treated myself to a little dessert today.  I had been itching to try the Clementine Sorbet.  I am lucky enough to have a friend with an ice cream machine that she let me borrow.  I blended all the ingredients, and poured them into the ice cream maker for about 35 minutes.  My understanding is you can also just pour the ingredients in a container and freeze according to the CSK cookbook.  Then pulse in a food processor to make the sorbet. 
I actually made the sorbet two ways. First with cashews and coconut.   I thought this way was too creamy.  It tasted more like ice cream than sorbet.  I really wanted sorbet.  So I did it again without the cashews.  I still wasn't crazy with the texture.  I really wanted to like this recipe, but for me personally I would leave out the coconut as well next time.  Orange sorbet is what I wanted.  I had expectations, and couldn't get them out of my head.  So each time I made the recipe it wasn't what I was craving.  Maybe if I didn't have a craving for Haagen Dazs orange sorbet in my head I would have liked it more.   
Clementine Sorbet
It looks creamy right?  Sorbets aren't creamy are they?  What do you think...




3 comments: