Thursday, December 6, 2012

Chickpea with Root Veggie Tagine & The Herb Garden

Chickpea with Root Veggie Tagine pg. 185
The Herb Garden pg. 160

I love a one pot meal.  This is that kind of dinner. Tonight I made Chickpea with Root Veggie Tagine.  Tagine is a traditional North African Dish.  If I was a betting woman (Which I totally am when in Vegas from time to time!) I would have said this was an Indian inspired recipe.   Who knew?
Chickpea with Root Veggie Tagine
Not sure why this recipe was labeled a more challenging dish in CSK?   It seemed easy enough to make.  I had to chop quite a few things, but still not a big deal.  Wait, maybe this means I am becoming a more confident cook?  You know what else I am getting good at? I really know my way around my local Whole Foods.  Here is what you will need as you make your way around the grocery store  for your Tangine ingredients.
I know it looks like a massive amount of ingredients, but much of it are spices.  The big thingy in the picture is a turnip.  I had actually never used a turnip in a recipe before tonight.  I would personally make this dish spicier next time.  Maybe add more red pepper flakes or a hotter pepper as my garnish. 
I made The Herb Garden salad as well.  CSK gives various herb blends you can combine.  I went with a Thai version.  Basil, cilantro and mint mixed with a mesclun mix.  I once again had to Google an ingredient.  What is mesclun? Anyone?   It is just a salad mix of assorted small, young salad leaves according to Wikipedia.  I tell you I have had to look up so many random things since starting this cooking project.  Fresh herbs in a salad can only be described as GOOD!
I know this picture just looks like a green mess!  Sorry.  I should have separated the herbs and salad.

I wish I could tell you my kids loved the Tagine, but they didn't.  Which is frustrating because my husband and I really did.  I would totally make this again.  My kids will just have to suck it up and eat it.  I just wonder what my kiddos would do if they spent 45 minutes making dinner, and then I just brought my frown to the kitchen table?  Just not cool! 





No comments:

Post a Comment