Sunday, February 3, 2013

Crab Cakes

Hearts-of-Palm-Style Crab Cakes with Remoulade pg. 151
Crab Cakes
I am going to tell you a true story.  About 12 years ago my husband and I were out on a date. Wait it gets better.  We went out for the first time after my daughter was born.  I got all dolled up, and we had a babysitter.  It felt awesome to be away from the kids for a few hours.  We went to a sushi restaurant.  We ordered food and were enjoying our cocktails.  The night was memorable, but not for any of the reasons I have shared thus far.  You see when we ordered our food we made sure to tell the waiter, "Please make sure there is no shellfish in our food."  Yep, my husband is deathly allergic to it.  The waiter assured us all was cool.  We began to eat.  A few minutes later he came back to our table to say, "Is it OK that there is a little shrimp in your food?"  Panic shot across our faces.  The manager made a beeline to our table only to personally drive us to CVS for a large amount of Benedryl.  Needless to say our dinner ended abruptly, and my hubby got pretty sick and puffy.

So we never serve shellfish in our home.  I have never had my kids tested for the allergy.  The pediatrician told me that the test is only so reliable.  They really would just need to try it and see.  I am not about to have to pull out an Epipen on my watch.  So today was the first time my husband got to experience anything like a crab cake. 

These weren't too hard to make, so don't let the chefy "2" freak you out.  Here is what you need to make this recipe.
The recipe calls for you to toast the Nori Sheet, being careful not to burn it.
Then make tablespoon size balls that are formed into crab cakes.
I really liked the Remoulade.  It was very delicious.  The jury is still out on the hearts of palm.  I kind of wonder if you could use artichoke hearts for this one?  Hearts of palm was a new one for me, and I think it is an acquired taste.

I cheated the recipe with the times it said to chill the "crab mixture" or the "crab cakes." I found it didn't really need it.  I was running low on time when I was preparing dinner, so I opted for feeding the family vs chilling crab cakes.  Nothing fell apart, so no harm no foul as they say.  I have to admit my crab cakes weren't crispy enough.  It seems no matter how hot I get the oil I just haven't mastered the technique of frying.  My cakes were a little mushy.  I think it is either my pan sucks, or there is a trick that chefs aren't sharing with us regular housewife cooks.

The recipe makes 12 crab cakes.  Let me know what you think when you make them.
By the way, don't you think Beyonce rocked the half-time show?!  I loved all the girl power on stage.  Pretty awesome!  Oh, one last thing, the carrot cake I made Saturday went quickly so I made a second today.  The cake is that good.  Make it!

No comments:

Post a Comment