Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Pumpkin Bisque

Recipe 20 Pumpkin Bisque pg. 124
Pumpkin Bisque
Have you ever cooked with fresh pumpkin?  I hadn't until today.  The only thing I had ever used a fresh pumpkin for was of course my jack-o-lantern on Halloween.  The thing is, I love pumpkin bread and pumpkin pie, but I always just use canned pumpkin for those recipes.  I must say it was a little challenging peeling the pumpkin. Seriously thought my potato peeler might break, but after I got it prepared it was a piece of cake to cook. The soup is a combination of sweet and spicy.  It had excellent flavor, and the roasted pumpkin seeds brought this dish to life.  Here is what you will need to put this soup on your table:

Once you have boiled the pumpkin, and cooked the onion your soup is virtually ready.  All the ingredients go in the blender and then back to the stove for a few minutes.   
The recipe did call for roasted garlic.  I had never roasted garlic either.  I am telling you cooking isn't anything I was able to brag about until recently.  Julie Powell (Julie/Julia) had it right when she decided to cook her way through Mastering The Art Of French Cooking.  Making your way through a cookbook forces you to try new things, and cook foods you may have never ventured to even taste.  Roasted garlic was so easy to make.  Just cut the top off the whole garlic, place in some tinfoil, drizzle with olive oil and put in the oven.  It takes only 20 minutes and your garlic will fall out of its shell with a slight pinch.
Before roasting
This soup puts a wow factor on your table for Thanksgiving.  Imagine starting your dinner with warm Pumpkin Bisque.  So gourmet!  Kris Carr had this recipe on her website this week so I will attach the link if you are feeling inspired to give it a try...

http://kriscarr.com/blog/crazy-sexy-kitchen-is-a-new-york-times-bestseller/
Your guests will be so impressed!

No comments:

Post a Comment