Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Mango and Coconut Millet

Recipe 6 is Mango and Coconut Millet page 99.

Good morning! I thought it was important to start the day off with a hearty breakfast.  It is after all Election Day.  So get out and vote today!

I chose this breakfast because I had never tried millet, and was curious what it would taste like.  It was funny because when I told my daughter what I was making she said, "You mean what I feed my bird?"  It hadn't dawned on me that her bird food and my food were one and the same. Our cockatiel loves this tasty treat.  Granted the millet I bought was not on the stem like the one pictured.  This was our birds millet.  Mine came from the bulk bins at Whole Foods, and it was already off the stem.
Quent and Pikachu
 Here are the ingredients for the Mango and Coconut Millet:
I combined all the ingredients.  It took longer for the millet to cook on my stove.  The cookbook said 10-12 minutes, but for me it took closer to 20 minutes.  No biggie.  Just thought I would mention it so you leave yourself enough time in the morning.  It could just be my stove or my cooking that made it take longer.  I didn't want to burn it so I had it on low heat.
Time elapse of the millet being cooked.
If I am being honest, millet is probably a grain I will leave for my bird.  Although it was good,  I think I would choose quinoa or oatmeal over it.  The millet had too much bite for me, and was too nutty flavored.  I know that is exactly how it was described, and I should have expected it. My fault!  I just wanted to be adventurous and try something new.  I used mango, chopped almonds and dried blueberries as my toppers.  The dried blueberries were really delicious.  It really complemented the coconut.  Here is what it looked like when it was prepared.
It will definitely fill you up.  Give it a try.  Tell me what you think of millet!

Just a friendly reminder to sign up as a follower of this blog here on the right.  You might win a Crazy Sexy Cookbook!






No comments:

Post a Comment