Sunday, November 25, 2012

Chile Rellenos & Gaucamole

Recipe 26 & 27
Chile Rellenos With Red and Green Sauce pg. 197
Green Chile Guacamole pg. 231
Chile Rellenos
When I first looked through Crazy Sexy Kitchen this recipe had my name on it.   My family loves spicy foods.  I just knew this would be something we would all love.  I would have never anticipated cooking so much with cashews.  Thank goodness we don't have any nut allergies in my family. I know the other day I was complaining a bit about soaking nuts, but for this recipe it is necessary.  It makes the cashews so smooth when blended to make the cashew jalapeno cheese.  Here are most of the many things you will need to add some spice to your life:
Now the reason I say MOST of the ingredients is quite funny. (Not really!) I didn't realize until I started writing this post that the recipe said red and green sauce.  I started to give a snarky comment to my husband that went something like, "Hey they have a typo in this cookbook!"  Then I figured out I am just the goof who failed to turn the page.  Had I turned the page I would have seen a green sauce and a little salad to garnish my chiles with.  Granted the picture in the cookbook had both those things but I just thought they were being fancy with the photogreaphy. So green sauce will be made tomorrow.

The hardest part about the recipe was filling the Anaheim chile peppers.  That part got a little messy, but the filling is so great you won't mind licking your fingers clean!
The recipe gives you the option to use a dehydrator or the oven.  I don't have a dehydrator, so I used my oven.  I baked them longer then the recipe called for and at a higher temperature.
I had extra cashew-jalapeno cheese because I didn't buy enough peppers.  My Whole Foods had a crappy selection of peppers this weekend. Not to worry, I just took out my corn chips and dipped away.  It was awesome!  I am just telling you so you buy 8-10 large peppers when you make it.
I made some Green Chile Guacamole to go with the chile relleno.  It was the perfect topping.  Here is what you will need:
This recipe is a real treat.  I would save this recipe for a weekend to cook because it took awhile to finish.  It was totally worth it, but during the week I don't have as much time to put into a new recipe.  I think now that I have made it, I could whip it together much quicker.   Even so, some meals in my house are considered more special and are "weekend meals." 
We loved it.  Luckily I have a little left over.  I will make the green sauce tomorrow and let you know how it is.  I can't believe I didn't turn the page!  Pretty funny!  Ya know what is funny? Try saying Chile Rellenos 3 times fast...







No comments:

Post a Comment