Sunday, January 27, 2013

Lentil & Chard Ragout

Simply Green pg. 155
Basic Italian Dressing pg. 225
Lentil & Chard Ragout pg. 183
Lentil & Chard Ragout
We had a very exciting weekend.  My son went to his first formal with his girlfriend.  We had to get him a suit and all the accessories and he looked totally dapper.  I was beaming with pride.  I am sharing this with you because that is my excuse why I didn't blog this weekend.  See for yourself how cute he and his girl looked.
Today I got back to grocery shopping and cooking. Actually, my totally amazing hubby did the shopping for me.  That is always a treat.  I really get sick of going to the store.  It's funny, when I was in my early twenties and first moved out of my parents house I thought grocery shopping was the most fun.  Fast forward an undisclosed amount of years later, and let me just say it's not so much fun anymore!

I have to give my bro a big shout out because he lent me some photography lighting!  I am so excited about this! It has been raining here in LA, so taking pictures outside has been out of the picture so to speak.  So today I started to experiment with indoor photography.  As I began to set up my shot for the Basic Italian Dressing, my puppy decided she really wanted a lick.  The next thing I knew  I heard a crash!  She had knocked the whole jar onto the ground.  We had salad dressing everywhere!  It was even on the ceiling, and we have pretty high ceilings.  So after a big cleanup, and making a second round of dressing I got to have some fun taking pictures.  First I had to take care of my little trouble maker...
I was excited to make a homemade Italian dressing.  As I have said before store bought dressings pretty much suck!  This was fantastic.  The fresh herbs in it tasted terrific.
Basic Italian Dressing
I used the dressing for the Simply Green Salad.  The salad called for the Lemon Oil, but since I had already made that dressing I figured why not try the Basic Italian.  It is great when something so easy tastes so wonderful.

Simply Green
This salad really complimented my dinner,  Lentil & Chard Ragout.  This was a delicious dish that the whole family ate.  Anytime I get thumbs up from my kids the recipe gets a standing ovation from me.  It is so hard to introduce the kids to new foods and get an all around positive outcome.  I purchased these black lentils months before I knew I would make this recipe.  I bought them because they looked pretty! See what I mean.

I love lentils and these were full of flavor and perfect texture. I would use them again when a recipe calls for lentils.  They took a bit longer than the 20 minutes the recipe suggested to cook.  Not a big deal, just an FYI.  Here is what this recipe needs to come alive.
I served the dinner with some muesli bread which was perfect.
This is a one pot meal which I love. Throw all your ingredients in, and wait for the magic to happen. I might have included this recipe in my top 5 if this was last week!






No comments:

Post a Comment