Thursday, January 24, 2013

Cinnamon-Cherry Granola

Cinnamon-Cherry Granola pg. 115
Cinnamon-Cherry Granola
I wasn't always a granola lover.  Growing up it was way more likely that my family had cereals like Cocoa Puffs or Lucky Charms, not granola.   My husband on the other hand has always loved granola.  He would have his bowl of granola, and I would have something much less healthy for breakfast.  It actually wasn't until a couple of years ago, when one of my neighbors brought us some homemade granola that I found I liked.  It was amazing, and so much better than anything I had eaten from the store.  Since then I have found that Whole Foods has many types of granola sold in the bulk bins that are really great.  One of my favorites is their hemp granola.  Yum!

Now you would think when my neighbor brought me delicious homemade granola that I might have tried making it.  But no, I never did.  It seemed way too chefy for me.  All that has changed, because today I made homemade granola.  Well let me rephrase that sentence. Two days ago I started making homemade granola, and today it is finally ready to eat!  I made Cinnamon-Cherry Granola.  It is really awesome.  I wasn't sure I would like it because it is filled with lots of different nuts and seeds but no oats.  I like oats in my granola. This granola has buckwheat groats.  When these little things are dehydrated they are so perfectly crisp, and you don't want for any oats. 
This recipe is not hard to make.  It just takes patience!  It literally takes 2 days to make, I'm not exaggerating.  You will have to soak the buckwheat groats overnight, and then dehydrate them for 12 hours.  While these are dehydrating you will soak the remaining nuts and seeds so they are ready to dehydrate for a minimum of 18 hours. See, 2 days!


Now if you can practice patience you will be rewarded.  Even my dog couldn't stay away from this sweet treat.
I guess the only drawback to this recipe is you need a dehydrator.  You probably could make it in the oven.  I know when my neighbor made me her fabulous granola she baked it.  So if you do make it in the oven let me know how it goes.  Now, I am going to go bring my neighbor some of this amazing homemade granola!

1 comment:

  1. I've been exploring for a little for any high quality articles or weblog posts in this sort of house . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this website. Studying this info So i'm happy to
    express that I've a very just right uncanny feeling I discovered exactly what I needed. I such a lot indisputably will make sure to don?t fail to remember this website and provides it a look on a continuing basis.
    Here is my web blog : buy beats headphones

    ReplyDelete