Sunday, March 3, 2013

Pad Thai with Kelp Noodles

Pad Thai with Kelp Noodles pg. 191
This is number 10, as I countdown to my very last recipe in Crazy Sexy Kitchen.  One thing is for darn sure if you cook your way through a cookbook you are going to be forced to eat things you would never choose on your own.  You will be pushed out of your comfort zone, and your taste buds will be taken on a wild adventurous ride.  Like today for example, kelp noodles are something I had never eaten.  I was expecting something similar to seaweed.  To my surprise it was nothing like it.
Kelp Noodles
Kelp noodles are kind of strange to see and feel.  They seem like something my daughter would use to make a funky necklace, instead of a noodle we would eat.  They were really quite good, which still kind of shocks me.  The texture was pleasant they had a nice crunch.  No cooking is involved either which is an added bonus in comparison to say the pain in my side temperamental soba noodles.

The recipe just involves making the Pad Thai Sauce.  The recipe calls for a block of tamarind pulp.  My Whole Foods didn't have any, but they did have tamarind paste, and the tamarind paste is what we were trying to achieve in the end.  So I feel like I was gifted a step in this recipe.  Phew, thanks Whole Foods!
Pad Thai Sauce
Saving time on a step was cool because then I just had some chopping and marinading to do.  My husband helped with the chopping, so it all went pretty fast.  One of my favorite ingredients was the Thai pepper.  It added a great deal of zest which my hubby and I always love. 
This made a pretty filling lunch.  My husband and I ate it.  My kids would not even consider it.  Although my teen son did taste a kelp noodle and thought it was weird but good.
Now I wouldn't say I loved this dish, but I liked it a lot.    If I was a betting woman (which I am) I would have lost this bet, because I wouldn't have thought I would have liked this recipe at all. It's pretty awesome to be pleasantly surprised with the outcome of a meal I might have turned my nose off to 3 months ago.  Now if I could just convince my kids to try new things, they just might find they like more types of food too.  Let me know what you think if you get around to making this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment