Monday, March 18, 2013

Seitan Brisket with Roasted Chanterelle Gravy

Seitan Brisket with Roasted Chanterelle Gravy pg. 200 & pg. 235
The day is finally here!  My last recipe from Crazy Sexy Kitchen.  I started this project October 29th, 2012.  Truthfully, two days into this project I panicked.  I was freaked.  The thought of cooking my way through CSK was starting to set in.  My family & friends pretty much thought I had lost it, and I wasn't sure I could pull it off.  We all know how this story ends though, I did it.  I committed to finishing this cookbook.  Yes, it was totally CRAZY, but guess what I now have some awesome skills in the kitchen, and that is SEXY!  If you really want to learn how to cook, pick up a cookbook and fully immerse yourself in it.  Any type of cookbook, vegan or not, if you make it through to the end you will know how to cook!  With that being said, if you want to be better at anything you just have to dive in and do it, and do whatever it is a lot.  Writing, cooking and pictures were all skills I perfected as this project went on. 

Today was the Seitan Brisket.  This recipe terrified me.  I had no concept what Seitan Brisket even was until today.  Guess what, not as scary as I thought, and in fact it was pretty good.  Here is what you will need for the brisket and gravy.  FYI I forgot to add the maple syrup in the brisket ingredient picture, and the Tamari in the gravy picture.  Go figure my last pictures and I goofed up.
Seitan Brisket Ingredients
You will make your sauce for the brisket first, and then the dough.  Seitan is wheat gluten in case you are like me and had no idea what it was!  It literally feels like bread dough.  You will knead it like bread.  It reminded me of pizza dough as I strived to give it a nice loaf shape.

You will baste the seitan for over an hour as it cooks.   It was essentially vegan meatloaf, or that is at least what my husband thought it looked like, and it totally did.
The one issue I had while preparing this dish was when the recipe asks you to flip the seitan after 30 minutes of cooking.  I did do it, but I needed help from my husband.  The brisket was hot and still soft.  I was afraid it might tear.  It was a bit tricky, so beware.  Your house will smell divine while this cooks.

Now, did I love seitan? Truth... No.  I did like it.  I think for me it was about texture.  When you aren't used to certain textures it takes time.   The flavor was great. 

Next up is the Roasted Chanterelle Gravy.
This was the best gravy I have ever had.  It will be a staple in my house for every holiday from here on out.  I know my kids will be begging me to make it for more than just special occasions.  They love mashed potatoes and gravy.  It was absolutely delicious. 
Yum!
So I really did it.  I am not sure what I hoped would come from devoting most of my free time to cooking my way through CSK?  In the beginning I half joked Kris might come to dinner.  It would be cool to have a dinner with Kris, but now I want Chad to come as well.   I came into this deal kinda obsessed with Kris because we all know she is pretty rad.  The thing is Chef Sarno is awesome too!  I just didn't know him before CSK, but I got to know him through his great recipes.  He generously re-Tweeted me almost every time I posted something to Twitter, and liked all my pictures on Instagram.  He didn't have to do that.  I am fans of both of them now.

So I put the invitation out there to Kris and Chad - breakfast, lunch or dinner anytime! Although, Chef Sarno I think I would like you to do the cooking, and Kris you could fill my soul with all your spiritual and business smarts!  My husband and I would love to meet you both.  I will be sending my cookbook your way for you both to autograph.  I warn you it is quite stained and tattered.  It was by my side virtually everyday for about 4 1/2 months!

What's next?  Who knows!  I would love to post a follow up story with all the magical things that happened after I completed CSK.  I promise if anything interesting happens I will let you know...  Thank you for all your support.  I appreciate you stopping by everyday.

To my amazing husband, thank you for encouraging me every single day and helping me so much!  You are by far the most amazing person I know.  I love you!  My hubby gave me this American Greeting card for my birthday, and I think it pretty much sums up everything for The Crazy Sexy Kitchen Project...

12 comments:

  1. Sniff sniff, sad to see it end.... proud of you! But ready for you to immerse yourself again ;) Ha - how selfish of me! Congrats! Funny how a cookbook can connect people ;) I'll think of you every time we make the Shredded Kale and Carrot Salad ( our favorite around here )!
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh thanks! It will feel a bit strange not photographing my food before I eat it;) Maybe Kris and Chad will surprise me in some way, and I will have one more post... Thanks for reading and enjoy that awesome Shredded Kale and Carrot Salad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I can't wait to now sit down, take my time and again read through every recipe for extra pointers. What you accomplished was amazing! I have this sneaky feeling that you'll be having that sit down with Kris & Chad before you know it. I can't wait to see what new journeys this experience brings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much!! It would be really nice to hear from Kris and Chad:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG thank you! I think that would be the perfect gift:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! So the real question is... How do you feel after eating all this healthful food?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so proud of you! I can't wait to see what's next because you are my morning newspaper :-) great job Brooke!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so proud of you! I can't wait to see what's next because you are my morning newspaper :-) great job Brooke!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats to you! I really enjoyed following along.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats. I loved your images and your desire to cook through the entire book. Thanks for sharing your adventure with all of us.

    I hope you get to enjoy a meal with Kris and Chad.

    Jo-Ann

    ReplyDelete